Trust the Fscking Read  

Posted by Unknown

Ok. I think I'm getting very near the place where I can do the big laydowns on a regular basis. Might not be quite there yet though, as I sometimes still second-guess my reads, as with this hand. Villain being a 16.1/6.45/1.00 on about 100 hands, his raising a limped pot kinda set some alarms in my head; well, way more bells went on than when that calling station on my left does its thing :P.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

UTG ($9.85)
UTG+1 ($5.35)
MP1 ($6.85)
MP2 ($9.05)
CO ($4.65)
Hero ($8.80)
SB ($15.25)
BB ($7.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Qh, Ah.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 1 fold, MP2 raises to $0.5, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($1.25) 3h, 8c, Ac (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero bets $1, MP2 calls $1.

// That flat call is what set me up I think; as now I'm tending towards some mid pair (JJ, TT) or big connectors which would not have hit (KQ, QJ). He might also have the ladies or cowboys; he does not have the bullets since he'd have re-raised in that spot, imho. Players with a VP$IP of >20% tend to try to make their big hands pay as much as possible, which usually means raising with the nuts and other monsters. In any case, his flat-calling of my 4/5th-of-the-pot-bet gets me thinking I'm in the lead but he simply can't fold his hand... I get completely oblivious to AK...

Turn: ($3.25) 7d (2 players)
MP2 checks, Hero bets $2, MP2 raises to $4, Hero raises to $7.3, MP2 calls $3.30.

//Now this is my mistake, which he induced with that weak check-call on the flop. But now he's sandbagging me?!?!?! Wtf??? And suddenly, it hits me: as I said just a few lines ago: "Players with a VP$IP of >20% tend to try to make their big hands pay as much as possible, which usually means raising with the nuts and other monsters"... And I get that he's most probably on a big slick. Why do I re-raise all-in then? Good question! Because of the quality of the trap he set, which overrode my read; instead of seeing only the newly deployed show of strength, I kept my focus on the last betting round. Not very good lol... I figured I paid to validate the read I didn't trust enough to lay down my top pair... Lesson learned; and I'm starting to agree with Doyle about the lousiness of the Little Slick. Here's the rest :P...

River: ($17.85) 4s (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.85

♠♥♦♣

0 comments

Post a Comment

Archives

And now for something...

... completely different...

For all the media and art buffs out there, here's what I'm tripping on lately, besides poker... Comments and/or suggestions welcomed ;-).

  • Alias (Bendis!) (Graphic Novel)

  • Last Worthy Movie
    Milk (Gus Van Sant)

    And while we're at it, other personal stuff includes (contains French ramblings :P):
  • My Trials With Photography
  • Mise en Abyme (Movie Blog)