Schoonmaker, Psychology and My First Ratings  

Posted by Unknown

Been reading the great The Psychology of Poker, by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker lately. Awesome book to get into the motives, desires and fears of poker players, more precisely yourself (Schoonmaker's kinda borderline obsessing over the Stu Ungar quote "At the table, you're your worse enemy"). Providing many insights and tools to better know oneself and one's opponents, I am currently doing one of these 'hands-on' given out by Schoonmaker throughout the book, this time about rating opponents (of course, all this wonderful work has triggered deep introspective reflexions, but these are currently steeping and macerating in my mind :P... 'Til I have them assimilated, I think I'll post about opponent's psychology rather than confuse my very own introspection... Once I have all these sorted out, I'll post my conclusions of course ;-)). The rating occurs on two different and yet intertwined dimensions (that most neophytes will often mistake for the very same one, by the way): tightness/looseness AND passiveness/aggressiveness. Roughly, we can define T/A as how many hands a player plays from a given position; e.g., Luc plays twice as many hands (regardless of the actual 'hand' in the hole) than Mark from the Cutoff, while P/A strictly refers to the bet-check and raise-call ratios. Well, here's an half-decent first draft, based on the only live game I play so far, our weekly micro-stakes homegame :P...

Loose

9











8


LAP

Yves





LAG



7


Max









6







Fred




5





AVG (5,5)






4











3








Mel



2


TAP






TAG

Nic

Tight

1

Nick+











1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9



Passive






Aggressive

T/L Ratings

P/A Ratings

9

Ext Loose

Yanick

9

Ext Aggro

Nic

8

Very Loose

Yves

8

Very Aggro

Mel

7

Loose

Max

7

Aggro

Fred

6

6

5

5

4

4

3

Tight

Mel

3

Passive

Yves

2

Very Tight

Nic

2

Very Passive

Max

1

Ext Tight

Nick+

1

Ext Passive

Nick+

0 comments

Post a Comment

Archives

And now for something...

... completely different...

For all the media and art buffs out there, here's what I'm tripping on lately, besides poker... Comments and/or suggestions welcomed ;-).

  • Alias (Bendis!) (Graphic Novel)

  • Last Worthy Movie
    Milk (Gus Van Sant)

    And while we're at it, other personal stuff includes (contains French ramblings :P):
  • My Trials With Photography
  • Mise en Abyme (Movie Blog)